Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Literacy – Spanning North America :: South River ON :: Fairbanks AK :: Grand Rapids MI

Literacy: Spanning North America

Demand For Adult Education Surging In Almaguin Highlands
'A lot of people have realized through this that they really need more secure employment'
Nugget: 5.18.2020 by Mackenzie Casalino, Local Journalism Initiative

More people are returning to school, pursuing online programs through the Almaguin Adult Learning Centre of South River.

“People are looking for things to do,” says Randie Doornink, lead instructor at the centre.

“People are still at home, but they’re starting to get a little antsy and a little bored. This is becoming a bit more normal. So it’s like ‘What am I going to do next?’”

The Almaguin Adult Learning Centre provides refresher courses and helps with high school credits for area adults, as well as soft skills and computer courses.

“We’re basically there for the hurdles,” Doornink says. “They’re moving themselves through the material and then when they hit a hitch in their work, we kind of jump in and talk them through that and we can do that at a distance.” READ MORE ➤➤

Based on (7) readability formulas:
Grade Level: 8
Reading Level: standard / average.
Reader's Age: 12-14 yrs. old
(Seventh and Eighth graders)

Adult Education Student Succeeds During COVID-19 And A New Baby
Web Center 11: 5.19.2020 by Alex Bengel

Despite delays from the COVID-19 pandemic, 29-year-old Angelina Porden has earned her General Education Development (GED) from the Adult Education Program (AEP) of the Literacy Council of Alaska. During the process, she also gave birth to a son.

Porden said having a baby on the way helped motivate her in her studies. “If I am not at my best, and I am not at my top of my game, then my son doesn’t have what he needs.”

Porden’s son Lucian was born on the 18th of March, the day she was scheduled to take her final test. The test was postponed because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which Porden sees as a blessing in disguise, as she would have had to postpone anyway.

The pandemic did, however, take a toll on her ability to take the test after giving birth. “Most definitely it slowed things down. I had to get a lot of patience and wait, because I was extremely motivated, but it definitely didn’t stop me. I was just going to sit there and wait. One way or another I was going to graduate,” she said.

Brian Davis, GED Program Coordinator and Lead Instructor with the Literacy Council in Fairbanks, works with students in the Adult Education Program, some aiming to receive their GED, others just hoping to gain literacy skills.  WATCH 01:38

Based on (7) readability formulas:
Grade Level: 8
Reading Level: standard / average.
Reader's Age: 12-14 yrs. old
(Seventh and Eighth graders)

*A True Handyman: Antonio’s Story
Literacy Center of West Michigan Learner Stories: 5.21.2020 by Guest blogger: Chad Patton, Director of Customized Workplace English

If there were one word to describe Antonio, it would probably be “handy.” Since Michiganders were asked to Stay Home and Stay Safe due to the Coronavirus, Antonio has been taking the time to work around the house.

“I put my gutters around the house… I got a deck, a big deck in the back yard, so I cleaned it and I stained the whole deck… and [my wife] wants me to fix a little table for her.”

Antonio, who works in maintenance for a large apartment complex by Rivertown Crossing, came to the Literacy Center to hone his handiness into a Construction Core Credential through a partnership with Grand Rapids Community College.

“When I found that there was a class like this, I said to my wife, ‘I need it, I want to take it…’”

═════════►
Due to Coronavirus, Antonio isn’t able to learn in his preferred method (hands-on learning), but he is still able to meet with his GRCC trainer and Literacy Center trainer through a virtual classroom.  READ MORE ➤➤


Based on (7) readability formulas:
Grade Level: 14
Reading Level: fairly difficult to read.
Reader's Age: 21-22 yrs. old
(college level)


No comments: