Thursday, January 28, 2021

How Learning To Read At 54 Transformed My Life ▬ BBC

Lockdown Win: How Learning To Read At 54 Transformed My Life

@ReadEasyUK
BBC: 1.24.2021

Tim Davies was one of millions of adults in England who struggled to read and write. For a long time he tried to hide this fact, but a brush with cancer caused him to re-evaluate his life and not even lockdown could stop his progress.

Previously shopping or dealing with bills was a daunting task, he said.

Now Tim, 54, is learning to drive and hopes to start his own business as a tree surgeon.

"It's changed my life," he said.

About seven million adults in England have very poor literacy skills, the Literacy Trust charity estimates.

Tim said his problems began as a nine-year-old when he was left at a boys' home.

"From that point I thought nobody cared about me so why should I care?

"So I never concentrated at school."

Tim, who lives in Bristol, said he managed to cope with life by hiding his skills gap and took a job as a tree surgeon and landscape gardener because it did not require him to read.

"I was scared to tell people. I kept it quiet."

If you know someone who needs help

John Corcoran set up a foundation in his name to help adults and children with literacy skills - in California and online

In the UK, the National Literacy Trust website lists organisations that promote adult literacy

These include Read Easy and the Reading Agency

READ MORE ➤➤


Based on 7 readability formulas:
Grade Level: 8
Reading Level: fairly easy to read.
Reader's Age: 12-14 yrs. old
(Seventh and Eighth graders)


No comments: