Sunday, July 16, 2017

Literacy – Spanning the US :: Delaware Co Pa :: Wichita Falls TX :: Wilmington NC


Delco GED graduates celebrate at commencement ceremony
Delco Times: 6.26.2017

Mussa Kromah of Sharon Hill earned his GED in December and just six months later was addressing other GED graduates at a combined graduation ceremony for those earning their high school equivalency diplomas during the 2016-2017 school year.

The ceremony, was held at Delaware County Community College on June 22, honored nine adult students who passed their GED through the Delaware County Literacy Council, along with ten graduates from DCCC’s GED program, and 19 graduates from PathWays PA’s GED program.

“In Africa we have a saying,” Mussa told the crowd. “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.”

Mussa also told the audience that he took the English portion of the GED test five times before passing it. “That taught me a good lesson — keep working. Keep working, and one day you will succeed”.  READ MORE @

@WALCWF
Literacy tutors address different skill needs
Times News Record: 6.28.2017 by Eldon Sund

Hi, my name is Eldon Sund, and I would like to share with you some of my experiences working with the Wichita Adult Literacy Council, Inc. as a tutor over the past 10 years. I have thoroughly enjoyed volunteering for WALC with many different students. I worked for years as a MSU professor so these students at WALC are a new experience.

Most of the students I work with come from a background that I never knew existed. For the most part, they come from an income level that was foreign to me. I now have a much better understanding of what the term poverty means. Often one uses examples in teaching so that the student will have a better understanding of what is being discussed.

Many of the examples I found I was using had no meaning to them because they had not had the same experiences that I had. I have learned it is usually pointless to ask if his father ever taught teach him that because many of them didn’t have a father in the home. Most of my students are products of a Special Education Program where they may have graduated but are unable to read or write so they end up in the WALC program.

I have found that the majority of students are very bright; and if they had the same opportunities as most of us, I believe that all of my students would have been college graduates and perhaps even honor graduates. It takes a great deal of courage to come to WALC and ask, “Can you help me to read?”  READ MORE @

@cfliteracy
Citizenship 101
Wilmington Biz: 6.30.2017 by Yasmin Tomkinson, Ex Dir-Cape Fear Literacy Council

The House of Representatives has how many voting members?

Uh, good question!

Who was president during World War I?

You know, I should know this one, but….

The above exchange resembles a game of Trivial Pursuit. However, these questions aren’t part of a game and the ability to answer correctly is not a trivial matter. The examples above come from the list of 100 civics questions that are part of the process for applying for naturalization.

To apply for citizenship, a person must have been living in the United States on a green card for five years, unless he or she is married to a U.S. citizen. In that case, the application may be submitted after three years. The cost of an application is $725. However, an applicant may be able to apply for a fee waiver or a fee reduction. Other requirements for citizenship may be found at www.uscis.gov.

═════════►
At the Cape Fear Literacy Council, we assist people who wish to apply for citizenship in a variety of ways.  READ MORE @

No comments: