Monday, October 19, 2020

The Best Wordless Picture Books to Build Literacy & Comprehension Skills! ▬ Happily Ever Elephants

The Best Wordless Picture Books to Build Literacy & Comprehension Skills!

Happily Ever Elephants: 1.09.2020

I know.

Wordless picture books are daunting.

In fact, the first time I picked up a wordless picture book, I put it right back down.

Why?

I’m a reader and a writer. I love words. I love reading words. I love the way phrases turn into sentences which turn into paragraphs and then pages. I love word play and dialogue and figurative language. I love the way some words ignite fires in my soul, and others are so achingly beautiful they strike me right in the gut and before I know it, my heart is full and I read a particular page over and over because it feels like magic as the words dance in my head.

So a book with no words and only pictures? It totally freaked me out. 

═════════►
How to “read” Wordless Picture Books

Here are some simple tips for sharing a wordless picture book with your child:

═════════►
Wordless Picture Books are chock full of benefits for kids!

The benefits of reading wordless picture books with children cannot be understated. Don’t believe me? Check these out:

➤ When your child comments on the pictures, she begins to learn important storytelling elements. As an example, questions like “who do you see?” or “where is the little boy” introduce concepts of character and setting.

➤ Wordless picture books encourage children to make inferences, summarize what they see, and analyze illustrations for information, context, and connections.

➤ When kids “read” wordless picture books, they become aware of elements like beginnings, middles and ends as well as characters, settings and plots. Thus, they gain a keen understanding of how stories are constructed.

➤ Wordless picture books demonstrate how illustrations drive plot and often supply critical details and story elements — even if the story contains words!

➤ This unique format fosters creativity and imagination, while simultaneously enhancing reading comprehension and critical thinking skills.

Our Favorite Wordless Picture Books  READ MORE ➤➤

Based on 7 readability formulas:
Grade Level: 7
Reading Level: standard / average.
Reader's Age: 11-13 yrs. old
(Sixth and Seventh graders)


No comments: