Friday, May 15, 2009

John Corcoran: The Teacher Who Couldn't Read

It is never too late to learn how to read.

Watch John Corcoran share his story live on-stage at The Moth !

Over the last 20 years, John has had the opportunity to speak to millions of people as a literacy advocate. In New York, however, he had the unique experience of sharing his life story in an artistic venue from a first person point of view, to an audience of theater-goers.

Part 1: Introduction through high school.

Part 2: Life at college.

Part 3: High School teacher.

"I'm a university graduate," I began, "with a bachelor's degree in education and business administration and over 90 additional graduate units. I attended school for 35 years, half of them as a professional educator. In acquiring these experiences, I could not read a textbook or write the answer to an essay question. This is the first public acknowledgment that I have ever made, that I have been a functional illiterate for almost 50 years.”

John Corcoran, October 1987

No comments: